Re: mount and boot an existing linux partition from net-install cdrom

steef wrote:
ikke mezelf wrote:

As i have installed debian some time ago it (using diskettes) i had the option of mounting and booting an instaled system. (My current system is installed using the net-install cd)

now, i had to reïnstall windows, and it has overwriiten the MBR. I tries to boot my linux system using the current net-install, but it has no such option of mounting/booting an existing partition.
Instaling grub wont work without clearing the whole disk.

maybe a hint for a next version

ps if this option is available, forgive me for my not-knowing

Test nu de vernieuwde MSN Search http://search.msn.be

what i did (long) before: i got rid of grub; installed package lilo and package mbr so that i could boot debian again and added on the end of the group-file lilo.conf the window-OS with kate or joe.

maybe not the best method, but for me it worked in those days.

groeten van steef

groningen, holland

Did you try to use a rescue disk to boot, then mount your linux partition, chroot into it, and execute 'grub-install' to put grub in you MBR?

paul