Re: Why Grub? Must I Switch?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:57:30PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:01:26PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:13:31PM -0700, Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net) wrote:
> > > Just my opinion:
> > > Grub is much more featureful than lilo. It has a scripting language
> > > that can be used during boot to get you out of any trouble that you
> > > may have gotten into by reworking your kernel config. But to use it,
> > > you have to remember how it works. To remember you have to have
> > > learned it features.  When I realized this I reverted to lilo. It does
> > > the job for me. I truly believe grub is better, but I'm not ever going
> > > to learn and _remember_ how to use it.
> >
> > The bonus of GRUB here is that not only can you get an interactive shell
> > at boot, but there's a modicum of contextual support, at least insofar
> > as tab-completion is supported.  You can also type 'help' for a list of
> > commands, and 'help <keyword>' for a short but usable description of
> > commands.
> >
> > It's somewhat similar to DOS, in this regard really.  Though lacking
> > some of the file management utilties.

And with the advantage of being able to read filesystems other than
FAT16. My preferred method of booting used to be a weeny DOS partition
with LOADLIN.EXE on it, until I discovered grub.

> Yes, grub is good. But I'm 72 and have a bunch of things to do in the time
> I have left here. Learning to use grub isn't one of them, and I don't think
> a simple user should struggle with it if they already have a functional
> command of lilo.

Sure, but I think Karsten's point was that you don't actually need to
do much learning. I use grub but I wouldn't say I've learnt it...
since booting is such a rare occurrence, and problems with booting
even rarer, any time I need to use grub's features to get a
recalcitrant system booted I've pretty much forgotten anything I
learned last time, so I work it out more or less from scratch. The
features Karsten mentions make this very easy to do. As for
installing/configuring it in the first place, that's just a matter of
copying recipes from 'info grub'.

> Recent progress in live CD versions of Debian make me wonder as to grub's
> usefulness for error recovery. A live CD is vastly more powerful, IMHO.

Agreed. Even the Debian installation CD is vastly more powerful... but
I have quite a few machines with no CD-ROM drive :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons