Re: xwindows ati rage 128 pro

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 21:03 -0800, Adam Lafayette wrote:
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:03:51 -0800 (PST)
> From: Adam Lafayette <atomlbomb@yahoo.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: xwindows ati rage 128 pro
>
> I"m a new debian user.
> I've used other gnu/linux distros, mostly redhat ver
> 7.2 and a little with slackware many years ago.
>

> I installed debian with a very basic install, no X
> especially.

Which version of Debian?  I think most anyone doing a new install today
would be starting with Sarge, but based on the age of your equipment, I
suppose you may be using Woody...

> I am using a pentium 400Mhz, old emachine (got it
> cheap)w/128MB mem and 16MB ati Rage 128 GL video agp
> card
>
> I ranOn Mon, 2005-01-31 at 23:36 -0600, Adam Porter wrote:
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:36:06 -0600
> From: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
> To: Adam Lafayette <atomlbomb@yahoo.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: xwindows ati rage 128 pro
>
> You might try Knoppix and see how well it runs.  That could give you an
> idea of what to do.

This is an excellent suggestion.  My laptop's display cannot be
correctly configured by FC3, Suse 9.2 or Sarge but works perfectly under
all recent versions of Knoppix, and works with Sarge using the Knoppix
config file.  Boot Knoppix using the same kernel series that you are
using with Debian (if memory serves, this is knoppix24 or knoppix26 at
the boot prompt), and if it works, save /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 somewhere
(floppy disk, ftp/sftp onto another machine, etc).  Backup your
Debian /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 file, and replace it with the Knoppix
version.  Chances are, if Knoppix worked, this will work, and you will
have a working X configuration.

> apt-get install x-window-system
> apt-get install kde
> apt-get install kdm
>
> when I tried startx
> I got no screens found
>
> so I played with
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> trying different configurations.
> I evetually got it to run X using the VGA driver.  I
> think it is giving me 640x480 at 8bit.  The res is
> crappy and I'm quite sure the video card and monitor
> can do better res under gnu/linux.  I installed a free
> version of lindows on this machines a while ago just
> because I wanted to try it and it was doing at least
> 800x600.

What's going on the the logs for X?  If there is anything relevant you
may want to post it...

Good luck.

Lance Lucas