Re: what is my IP?

On Monday 31 January 2005 13:16, Kevin Jones wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:51:02 -0500, "Brendan"

>> On Saturday 29 January 2005 08:52, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
>> > I have a dynamic IP-adress, and have been using p2p clients to
>> > retrive my owm IP adresse when I need it. Is there another,
>> > easier way to do this?
>>
>> In my .bashrc:
>> alias myip="/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet add' | awk '{print
>> $2}' |cut -d '
>> '  -f 12 |cut -d: -f2"
>> alias myip-nat="lynx -dump http://checkip.dyndns.org";
>
>Won't just /sbin/ifconfig eth0 do it?

Not if you are using a firewalling router in 'gateway' mode between
you and the dsl modem and all your inhouse boxes are on a 192.168.x.x
subnet.

In that case, the outside IP address exists only in the routers status
page when it is 'online'.  You can either use a browser to query the
routers status page, or use the output of http://checkip.dyndns.org
from your browser.