Re: Increasing space under an existing directory

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 14:43 +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Vinod wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >During Sarge install, I mounted /usr on a separate partition and did
> >the install. Now, after I installed some software, /usr has aroung 100M
> >free. My question is, can I use mount to mount an additional drive
> >under /usr to increase the space? Or do I have to use LVM? I read the
> >LVM pages, but it did not make sense. What would I need to do for the
> >same?
> >
> You can use a tool to resize your partition (if you have place left or
> can shrink another partition)
> for instance parted. Or you could have installed on LVM which allows you
> to resize partitions
> to avoid the kind of problem you are having now.

Or, he could reinstall.  If it's a fresh install, reinstalling
shouldn't be that big a burden.

And, remember that this is 2005, not 1995.  /usr doesn't have to
be on it's own disk anymore.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity."
Hanlon's Razor
"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by
incompetence"
Napoleon