Unable to resolve hostnames with manual IP

Hello,

I am using DHCP for network configuration. As long as I use
DHCP, everything works fine, but if I boot up unconnected to
the network, and then configure my ethernet device using a
manual IP address, I am unable to resolve hostnames. I know
the device is configured because I am able to connect to
numerical IP addresses.

When I check /etc/resolv.conf, the addresses of the
nameservers are present, and are the same ones I am assigned
when using DHCP.

Also, can anyone direct me to a detailed and informative
treatise on how DHCP works on a Debian system?

Thanks, Allasso
--
  Kevin Jones
  kevinhj@imap.cc