Re: Help getting KDE setup to display random backgtound image

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 04:31:49PM -0700, Justin Guerin wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 16:14, stan wrote:
> [snip]
> > >
> > > How about setting up your own background program config in the KDE
> > > control center?  What I mean is, select background program, click on
> > > the advanced options, then create a new program.  Make the format
> > > something like this:
> > >
> > > <program with options that output to a file called "%f.jpg> && mv
> > > %f.jpg %f
> > >
> > > This works for me, as I use xplanet to show earth as the sun
> > > illuminates different portions.  Here's a copy of my setup:
> > >
> > > xplanet --origin moon --target earth --projection rectangular
> > > --geometry %xx%y --num_times 1 --output %f.jpg && mv %f.jpg %f
> > >
> > > Note that it's only one line.  Put this in both the preview command and
> > > command field, and it should just work.
> >
> > Thnaks.
> >
> > I take it that %f is a variable in KDE that represents the current
> > bacground?
> >
> It seems that way, but I couldn't find any documentation on it.  I haven't
> looked that hard, though, because it's working for me.  Did it work for
> you?

I finally got around to working on this this weekend. It _almost_ works.

I woulnd up just doing a cp ~/images/`cat ~/.bgimage` %f so that I did not
have to modify mye perl script, since it already generrated teh file
containing the name of the desired image. This works some of the time. Soe
of the time however, the background image gets "tiled", instead of being
scalled to fit the entire background. It _may_ have somethign to do with
the aspect ratio of the images.

I can not seem to find anywhere to adjust this behavior.

Sugestions?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin