Re: Scary kernel message from 2.6.10-k7 on sid

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Just now, I was using my machine normally, then I went to
> http://ursine.ca/cgi-bin/dwww?search=patch (ursine.ca is my system[1])
> and the system got hung for about 20 seconds, with the KDE system monitor
> showing 100% system CPU usage and RAM usage almost pegged.  After a few
> seconds, the kernel barfed this on the xconsole:
>
> Jan 29 01:05:34 localhost kernel: oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x1d2

Some program ate all your RAM and swap.  The kernel didn't like it, and
killed something to make more RAM available I think.  It is weird that the
oom_killer didn't log what it was killing, along with the junk.

Anyway, maybe you should add some limits (see pam_limits PAM module, ulimit
shell command) to avoid this in the future.

  Henrique Holschuh