Re: SLOW connection ONLY using Debian

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 15:44 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 14:54 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > For the past two weeks I have been internally blaming earthlink for my
> > pathetic dial-up speeds (av. 4.2Kbps) but have discovered that Younger
> > Daughter's WinXP connects at 4.8Kbps, Wife's Win98 connects at 4.8Kbps,
> > and my old Win95 does the same.  I am supposed to have a 56K (53.3Kbps)
> > connection and did have that until about two weeks ago.  I track Sid and
> > update regularly.  Since 90% of my online time is text-based this didn't
> > become a problem or even very apparent until the past couple of weeks.
> > I have no idea as to how to even start troubleshooting this.  Can any of
> > you wiser heads help?
> > Thanks for any ideas you may have concerning my problem.
>
> A 600 bytes/sec diffie doesn't seem that much to squawk about.
>
> Either Earthlink or your phone company are to blame.  Sign up for
> AOL(*), and see if d/l speeds suck, too.  If not, it's AOL.
>
> (*) You must have an AOL disk floating around somewhere, right?

Ok, now I see your correction.  Never mind...

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general
welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands;
they may appoint teachers in every state, county, and parish, and
pay them out of the public treasury: they may take into their own
hands the education of children, establishing in like manner
schools throughout the Union: they may seek the provision of the
poor ... [all of which] would subvert the very foundations, and
transmute the very nature of the limited government established
by the people of America."
James Madison, 1789