SLOW connection ONLY using Debian

For the past two weeks I have been internally blaming earthlink for my
pathetic dial-up speeds (av. 4.2Kbps) but have discovered that Younger
Daughter's WinXP connects at 4.8Kbps, Wife's Win98 connects at 4.8Kbps,
and my old Win95 does the same.  I am supposed to have a 56K (53.3Kbps)
connection and did have that until about two weeks ago.  I track Sid and
update regularly.  Since 90% of my online time is text-based this didn't
become a problem or even very apparent until the past couple of weeks.
I have no idea as to how to even start troubleshooting this.  Can any of
you wiser heads help?
Thanks for any ideas you may have concerning my problem.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.