Re: Simple Sound Recording?

On January 28, 2005 07:23, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I looked at the two java players at the above site, but the playback was
> jumpy.  Am I wrong to assume that mp3's can be streamed acceptably on a
> 56K dialup connection?

Pretty low quality mp3's can.  I used to listen to a couple of overseas
internet radio broadcasts and while the text/voice sounded quite good the
music left quite a bit to be desired.  The most I got out of my 56k modem was
about 49k and the best stream I could sustain without buffering was 32k when
the stars were aligned just right and the phone line was clean.  If you want
to include modem users I would suggest a offering a16k stream -- at least
they will be able to listen without constant buffering (I believe this is
what the now defunct linux show used which I could listen to fairly reliably
on my modem).  Looking back I wonder how I survived without broadband.

As for java solutions I don't know, I don't use it (don't even have it
installed).

RJP