RE: Problem with LVM on fresh Sarge installation

-----Original Message-----
From: Benedict Verheyen [mailto:benedict.verheyen@sjki.be]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 9:14 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: Kubelka Juraj (IFTR IT MFG)
Subject: Re: Problem with LVM on fresh Sarge installation

Juraj.Kubelka@infineon.com wrote:

<snip>

>Maybe your system doesn't have support for LVM compiled in or the
>initrd
>doesn't
>load the proper lvm2 modules? If LVM2 is what you are using off course.
Are you using a standard kernel or a self compiled one?

>Regards,
>Benedict
>

>I think there is support for LVM2. I'm using distribution kernel
>2.6.8-1-386 installed by debian installer for Sarge.
>
>---------------
># strings /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-386 | grep dm-mod
>dm-mod.ko
>---------------
>
>Best regards,
>Jura

The standard kernel provides LVM2 support so that should be alright.
Since it works when you do it manually, something must be wrong when
you're starting
the system. When you activate it manually, what does vgdisplay and
lvdisplay show you?

Regards,
Benedict

I start it manually after login to system (line "/dev/mapper/SYSTEM-HOME
/opt            ext3    defaults        0       2" in /etc/fstab is
deleted).

twiki:~# /etc/init.d/lvm start
Setting up LVM Volume Groups...
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "SYSTEM" using metadata type lvm2
  4 logical volume(s) in volume group "SYSTEM" now active
twiki:~# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               SYSTEM
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  9
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                4
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               37.25 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              9536
  Alloc PE / Size       9536 / 37.25 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               dKWH4d-fe1l-S5cf-x76v-lIhr-lTHy-CvRrW5
twiki:~# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/SYSTEM/HOME
  VG Name                SYSTEM
  LV UUID                pjOqOX-WbX9-qpxP-5NS3-2cyO-UbMD-ZJVN86
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                10.00 GB
  Current LE             2560
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           254:0

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/SYSTEM/USR
  VG Name                SYSTEM
  LV UUID                elD16s-SgVP-M6nd-m5e2-mcL9-g1ei-MTaVQk
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                5.00 GB
  Current LE             1280
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           254:1

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/SYSTEM/VAR
  VG Name                SYSTEM
  LV UUID                lofDQh-23Tc-s195-2NiE-oZeh-m5oH-9JYtod
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                18.00 GB
  Current LE             4608
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           254:2

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/SYSTEM/TMP
  VG Name                SYSTEM
  LV UUID                KdmMq1-rBQU-5r5b-7aUv-4d7x-UiO8-R23F7b
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                4.25 GB