Re: How do I accomplish this

On Thursday 27 January 2005 23:15, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
>My friend has Verizon DSL, with a funky modem (don't have that info
>handy), and every once in a while the stupid piece of hardware locks
> up.
>
>Since Verizon does not "support" linux, we need to boot his
>daughters windos XP machine to run "ipconfig /RELEASE", etc.
>
>Is there a way to get any linux command to simulate this command &
>actions?
>
>Thanks

Well, I won't run into verizon without a decent firewall/router
between me and that Westell modem, and the linksys I'm currently
useing has all that available right on its own internal web page,
accessable at http://192.168.1.1 by default.   And you are correct,
that modem needs a powerdown about once a month it seems.  The
linksys seems to be pretty good, I've only logged one attempted
access by an outsider in nearly 2 years, and portsentry shut that
down with only that report line in the logs.  It isn't quite
bulletproof when the attacker came from a verizon.net dns server,
buts its bounced everything else 100%.

The one I'm using right now is a BEFSR41, but I have a BEFSX41 ready
to go in as it supports snmp and 2 vpn channels that the other one
doesn't.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)