realplayer 10 debian package

I'm new to Debian and have been googling to find out what most users are doing to install realplayer-10. I notice real.com is updating this player with some regularity, as they bug-fix and make improvements. I'm glad to see this support for linux. But, I read that they aren't forth coming with the distribution license for Debian to be able to distribute it directly, so I guess there won't be a debian package available soon.

I also found that the older realplayer-8 had a debian-installer package that someone made, but the link to that was dead.

So, now I installed the 10.0.0.297-20040731 version by downloading the rpm, then using alien to convert it, and installing it. But, this failed to install the mime-types and menu files, so it wasn't so good. Then, I used alien to create the build directory, (alien -g RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm), and edited the postinst and postrm scripts to add 'RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local' to define the directories to search to install the mimetypes and desktop config files. Then, I built it using 'fakeroot debian/rules binary'. This package seems to work ok.

But, now I see they've come out with RealPlayer-10.0.2 in December, so am at it again.

Anyone have a better solution?

paul

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!