Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 08:52 +0000, David Corking wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > > You can't write '15 PRINT "Hello"' and expect your source code to
> > > be automatically edited in any of the above!  Better to use a real
> > > editor if you want to keep your code.
>
> > You can, in Python!
> > Hello
>
> Ron, I think you misunderstood me.  However my point was purely of
> historical interest, in reply to a nostalgic posting.
>
> Those who experienced BASIC in the 70s and early 80s may recall that
> the line I quoted was not executed immediately, but was instead
> inserted between line 10 and line 20 in your source code.  This was a
> poor substitute for a full screen editor, but generally necessary.

Oh, ok.

Idle-python (in Edit Windows mode) serves the same purpose, but
in a full-screen manner.

> Of course the big payoffs in interactive execution are testing,
> debugging, and immediate effects.  As your example shows, Ron, many
> modern interactive tools like Python, Scheme and bash do all this very
> effectively.
>
> Best regards, David

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"People had to leave everything, from photos of their
grandparents to cars. Their clothes, cash and passports has been
changed by state authorities. This is incredible, people lived,
had homes, country houses, garages, motorcyles, cars, money,
friends and relatives, people had their life, each in own niche
and then in a matter of hours this world fall in pieces and
everything goes to dogs and after few hours trip with some army
vehicle one stands under some shower, washing away radiation and
then step in a new life, naked with no home, no friends, no
money, no past and with very doubtful future."
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/page14.html