Where did my menu items go?

I have created a couple of launchers in my Applications menu by going to
the Nautilus URL applications:///, then creating the launchers.  The new
menu items then appeared on my Applications menu (seems like I had to log
out of gnome and back in).

Suddenly, the items I added are no longer in the Applications menu.
However, when I go to the applications:/// URL in Nautilus, the launchers
are still there.

I have found a lot of discussion about launchers disappearing from the
Panel, but not from the menu.

Any ideas? (This is on a sarge system).