Re: Newbie trouble with network card

It was inscribed by Chrissie Brown in the annals dated 1/24/05 5:30 PM:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:10:11 +0100, Keith and Cecile wrote:

line (after having used Intel's program to disable pnp and put the same settings on the card).

Why did you do this? How about enabling pnp again and using the
isapnptools package to set up the card? isapnptools will get executed at
boot time and sets everything right (in my 3 pcs)

isapnptools - ISA Plug-And-Play configuration utilities.

I had googled for problems with this particular card and the advice most people gave was to disable PnP (also the Ethernet-HOWTO). If I do decide to go back to PnP, doesn't the 2.4 kernel handle PnP without isapnptools? (And Woody uses the 2.4 kernel, right?)

Anyway, I've changed the IRQ to 10, because some cards evidently want an IRQ of 10 or 11. On boot, the card is detected with the right IRQ and io settings. cat /proc/ioports shows that the full io space that the card needs is vacant. cat /proc/interrupts shows eth0 at IRQ 10 (and nothing else is at IRQ 10) but the interrupt events listing shows 0.

On boot, I'm getting the following message three times:

eth0: set Rx mode to 1 address.

Can anyone tell me what this means and if it's part of the problem I'm experiencing?

Once again, thanks for the help.

--
Keith