Re: VoIP using regular phone using software and existing modem

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 13:27 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Can this be done with anything OpenSource?
>
> There are at least three VoIP clients on Sid but they assume an OSS-supported
> handset connected over USB or whatever. Presumably one could run through a
> voice-modem as well. What I would like to do is use the modem and the regular
> phone plugged into it. I do not care if it busies the regular phone line.

I don't know of any software (nor whether it's technically possible or
not) that will convert a regular analog modem into an FXS port. What
you'd most likely need to do is install Asterisk and then buy an IAXy
from Digium. They go for about $100 and serve as a FXS to IAX gateway.
With that you can connect a regular analog phone to an Asterisk server
running on your machine.

Then again, you can get a good SIP phone for about $70, so it might no
be worth it unless you have a super-fancy analog phone you're wanting to
use.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837