Re: what's eating the space?

Quoting Sam Watkins <swatkins@fastmail.fm>:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:17:06AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just set up a new system, and among others, the first partition on
> > each of the three disks is a 32 Mb primary partition to be used in
> > a RAID1 configuration (2 active, 1 spare) for /boot:
> >
> >   /dev/sda1   *   1    4       32098+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
> >
> > The RAID volume also appears to be 32Mb in size:
> >
> >   # dd if=/dev/md0 bs=1M > /dev/null                              [63]
> >   31+1 records in
> >   31+1 records out
> >   32768000 bytes transferred in 0.033353 seconds (982457689 bytes/sec)
> >
> > So I made an XFS filesystem on it and am now surprised to find only
> > 12 Mb of free space. Well, not really surprised, but it's an
> > inconvenience. Am I right in assuming that XFS just claims 20Mb of
> > the filesystem for itself?
>
> It's probably for the journal.  reiserfs does something similar.  You
> can specify the size of the journal in reiserfs when you create the
> filesystem, or with reiserfstune (although IIRC that didn't work),
> possibly there is a similar option for xfs.  I don't have xfsprogs or
> whatever installed so I can't check for you.  Try the mkfs.xfs or mkxfs
> or mkxfsfs manpage or whatever it is.

It is true that journals take space.  But, while the ext3 journal is 32MB
at the start of the disk, an XFS journal starts small and grows as the disk
is filled.

On my system, /opt is on its own partition and there are no files on it:
/dev/hda12            999M  144k  998M   1% /opt

That's all XFS takes from a 1 GB partition to start.

Something else must be going on.

-Roberto

--
Roberto Sanchez