Re: My boss want to kill debian, please help !

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Adam Aube wrote:
> > debian. Debian is used on 2 most powerfull servers, and put under
> > network traffic stress. From time to time, these debian systems has a
> > kernel panic, packet loss.

Please describe your hardware completely:
  motherboard make and model, bios and firmware (BMC etc) revisions
  cat /proc/cpuinfo   output
  lspci output

Also please tell us exactly what kernel you use (not just the version, but
rather the procedence plus all patches you applied, and which compiler you
used).

> > Last time one of the machines completly died, it stopped to work (it
> > didn't say "kernel panic"). The machine is under huge stress because it is
> > connected to a big swtching network via e1000 netcard (in 100 full duplex
> > mode).  It has zebra + bgpd and also arpwatch. I use QoS on that machine,
> > htb with about 1500 classes and 1500 filters (fw).

That will make the machine very, very suceptible to less-than-perfect PCI
bus implementations, and to kernel bugs.  I have one acting as our core
router here, which teached me to not trust 3COM 3C905B boards anymore, for
example.

OTOH, you are using probably the best network card available for Linux ATM
(when you factor in hardware quality AND driver quality) AFAIK.  Hmm...

> > Does somebody knows what the problem may be with the machine with
> > 2.4.28 and that crashed recently without a word?

1. PCI problems (hardware fault)
2. SCSI/PCI routing kernel problems (software fault)
3. CPU/memory instability (hardware fault)

> If the Debian systems are using a "vanilla" 2.4.28 kernel, you could also
> try upgrading to 2.4.29, which was recently released.

If you are using a vanilla kernel, stop doing that now.  Get the latest
Debian patched kernel (2.4.27-8) from SID and use that, or get the RedHat
kernel from SID (it is available on Debian) and use that.

  Henrique Holschuh