Re: listening radio from the internet

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 08:03 +0000, joe mc cool wrote:
> >> according to uname -a I am running:
> >>
> >> Linux solaris 2.2.20 #1 Sat Apr 20 11:45:28 EST 2002 i686 unknown
> >>
> >> I too would like to listen to the Beeb on the net (Radio 3)
>
>  > You are running Woody?
>
> I'll confess I am confused about the connection (if any) between Woody,
> Sarge, Sid, Potato, ...... and the version number and the n.n.nn
> designations.

Woody is Debian 3.0
Sarge will be Debian 3.1

the debian.org web site explains the versioning, and differences
between stable, testing and sid.

For a home desktop, I'd recommend Sid.  But that's just me.

> According to ./version I run a terse 3.0.
>
> I suspect, that for the sake of RealPlayer at least, I need to upgrade,
> but to what ?

Sarge, at minimum.

>                 And what are the risks ?

Some, but not as much as you might think.  If your sources.list
file mentions "stable", you'll be upgrading anyway, as soon as
Sarge "becomes" Stable.

- Back up your important data to CD
- edit your /etc/apt/sources.list, changing all references of
  woody and stable to sid
- as root:
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
- If all goes well, reboot.

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Joe

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

NAMBLA - Nat'l Assoc of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes (Yes, it's a
South Park reference.)