libstdc++5 problem

Hi,

I don't know if this is an appropriate list, but I'll try anyway and
prepare myself for someone to tell me to go away :)

Firstly, I have done a stupid thing. I recently installed firefox and it
required libstdc++5, which I didn't have since I am running woody (i.e.,
stable only). So, I added unstable to my sources.list and apt-getted
libstdc++5, after which firefox worked ok.

Then I tried to compile a few programs and hit, with each time, the same
error, such as this when I was compiling subversion:

---
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1(*IND*+0x0): multiple definition of `__divdi3@GLIBC_2.0'
/lib/libc.so.6(.text+0x770): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: warning: unexpected redefinition of
`__umoddi3@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: warning: unexpected redefinition of
`__udivdi3@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: warning: unexpected redefinition of
`__moddi3@GLIBC_2.0'
---

Now, clearly I have a problem here since my version of gcc is the stable
woody 3.0.4 package and (according to my web searches), my problem is that
I need the gcc >= 3.2 packages in order to do the linking process
properly.

So my problem is this: is there a work-around such that I can run firefox,
but link with my older (stable) version of gcc? I could install the
unstable version of gcc which would solve the problem (I presume), however
I don't fancy running an unstable compiler and furthermore, the
dependencies seem to require that I remove my kernel-image package!

Anyway, I realise I have done a pretty dumb thing, and would appreciate
any help to get me out of this hole I have dug for myself.

Thanks!

later,
Stuart
---