Re: routing table problem after power failure (sarge)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:00:26PM +0000, Corné Jannemans wrote:
> Tnx to response Jan. This is what i did:
>
> restarted my router
>
> checked /etc/resolv.conf is ok:
> content: search .
> nameserver 194.159.73.135
> nameserver 194.159.73.136
Ok, that ought to work...

> tried to "dig"
> response:
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>>
> ;; global options:  printcmd
>
> tried to ping localhost, times out
> tried to ping 127.0.0.1 router and lan, OK
You edited /etc/hosts.conf and added a localhost entry, didn't you?

> tried to ping dns servers, times out
Does your router happen to disallow ping packets? (I've seen the craziest
configurations...)

> turned off iptables, did this all again. Same results.
> Uninstalled bind9. No dependancies on it. Same results.
As long as 127.0.0.1 wasn't listed as nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf,
bind9 should not have been in the way.

> run tracert google.com in windows (Debian box is other box than windows
> box, same internet connection). tried to ping them on linux in the same
> order. The first and next ip adresses after my 10.0.0.250 (router) are not
> pingeable. That root server not, too.
Hmm. that's really strange. Wait, let me get your setup straight...
like that?

  (10.0.0.?)
+------------+
+------------+     |         +------------+   /-----\
                   +---------|   ROUTER   |---|modem|--{{{ internet }}}
+------------+     |         +------------+   \-----/
|   Debian   |-----/          (10.0.0.250)
+------------+
(10.0.0.{1,2})

> Router is not running DCHP, all ip's in lan are static.
>
> I thought route -n was wrong, because the lo interface is not mentioned in
> it. IS THIS RIGHT?
lo doesn't get a route on its own - it doesn't appear in my routing table, too.
Ah, just remembered something: If localhost is listed in your /etc/hosts
as I suggested, what does the "order" directive in /etc/host.conf say?
Should read "order hosts,bind"...

> Do i need to reload the /etc/hosts someway? Still I can't ping to
> localhost, but ping resolves is ip 127.0.0.1. Idem in case of 10.0.0.1.
> Pinging to their ip's stays ok.
No, that config file (resolv.conf and host.conf also) is reread
automatically.

The only thing I can imagine is some weird misconfiguration of the router,
allowing connections from the Windows box, but not from the Debian. But
as you only reconfigured the Debian box and it worked before you began,
that's nearly impossible.

Hmm, I'm pretty much groping in the dark... Is that router a full-
featured Linux box that you could inspect (tcpdump'ing the incoming
packets from the Debian box, and tracing where they go to)?
Or have you tried temporarily dropping one of the interfaces, so that there's
only one possible route (and source IP) left?

Jan

--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>