Re: i need more loop devices

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 19:43 +0100, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:16:32PM +0200, Can Burak Cilingir wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I need to backup my system (20 gigs) to a smbfs mounted directory. with
> > all the attributes of an ext3 file system so plain rsync --archive won't
> > be enough. I decided to create a filesystem image to mount from the
> > mentioned directory. This time i hit to the filesize limit of the smbfs.
> >
> > i decided to create 10 x 2GB files and glue them via raid 0 but this
> > time, number of loopback devices couldn't handle that :) i have 8 of
> > them. is it possible to create more? i tried with mknod, but couldn't
> > succeed.
>
> try adding  max_loop=xx at the boor prompt or when modprobing loop.
when i add to the prompt a "modprobe loop" says 8 devices
when i use "modprobe loop max_loop=xx" it correctly states "xx devices
max"

isn't there a way to automatically give this parameter? i
edited /etc/modules.conf (vie /etc/modutils of course, followed by
modules-update) as "options loop max_loop=64" but it didn't worked.

btw thanks