Re: what does banned from irc mean

On Monday 24 January 2005 06:59 am, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:10:31 -0800, Paul Johnson
>
> <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 January 2005 05:57 am, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> > > Now when i try to log on it says i am banned. What does that mean? How
> > > can i change it? All i tried to do was log in...
> >
> > You are banned because you violated channel rules.  It means you are not
> > allowed to join the channel.  You cannot change it.

Absurd and false.  Paul is shooting from the hip with no knowledge whatsoever.

> It is possible he has been caught in a ban which was too wide and
> intended for someone else, or do you know something that isn't on d-u?

Indeed Jon is exactly correct. I document what I did to solve the problem.
Sending email to staff@freenode.net was not helpfull.

Instead I logged on to the #freenode channel, and one of the kind people there
pointed out that all of  my sector of verizon had been banned by someone, and
he immediately removed that from applying to me.

I am curious that such wide bans can be so easily applied without an easily
documented method to appeal them.

Also, Paul Johnson you should think and investigate before you offer
comments, particularly if you have no knowledge of the issue, and
particularly if what you say might lead someone to despair of  redress of a
grievance. As a frequent (and often useful) contributor to debian-user you
have a bigger responsibility for what you say.

Mitchell