Re: cdrecord bug?

On Monday 24 January 2005 11:54, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Bill Marcum wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 23:48 +0100, Erik Svensson wrote:
> >>I made a fresh sarge install last week and opend k3b as user and
> >> burned cd´s without any problem. Yesterday when I ran "apt-get
> >> dist-upgrade" it upgraded cdrecord and from that point on I can´t
> >> burn as user (root works fine). The message I get as user is:
> >>cdrecord returned an unknown error (error 12).
> >>can´t allocate memory.
> >>Is it a known bug or a way around this?
> >
> > What kernel do you have?  If it's 2.6.8, get used to burning CDs as
> > root.
>
> I keep seeing the comment that 2.6.8 users have to burn as root, but
> I have been using 2.6.8 for months and regularly burn CDs as an
> unprivileged user.  Should I be experiencing problems as well?

Not if you're using a current revision of the Debian 2.6.8 kernel (maybe
some of the first revisions hadn't received the fix yet?). Only the
vanilla/upstream 2.6.8 kernel has the problem.
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare