Re: jpegtran lossless rotation?

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 19:18 +0900, Victor Munoz wrote:
> Hello. I'm a bit confused. jpegtran is supposed to provide lossless
> transformation on jpg files. Understanding nothing about the internals of
> graphic formats, I'd expect that original and transformed files had the same
> number of bytes. However, if I apply it to some file from my digital camera,
> the command:
>
> jpegtran -rotate 90 -copy all pict0069.jpg > l.jpg
>
> yields:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 vmunoz   vmunoz     436513 Jan 24 19:06 l.jpg
> -r--r--r--    1 vmunoz   vmunoz     440635 Jan 24 18:39 pict0069.jpg
>
> which is almost the same. Does anybody know where do the 'lost' bytes belong
> to? Exif data? I checked 'exif l.jpg', and 'exif pict0069.jpg', and
> the output is exactly the same.
>
> I know I'm being obsessive, but does anyone know?

That 1% difference in file size probably has to do with how it
encodes different patterns of colors and intensities.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

296,443 sq mi (767,787 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people to
live at the same population density as Manhattan, New York.
That is ~ Arizona or Nevada.
Alternatively, that ~ double the size of Japan or Zimbabwe