Nagios and CGI Permissions

Hello all,

I'm setting up Nagios, however no matter whether I turn on or off the
use_authentication variable, I always get the message :

"""
It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of the hosts you requested...

If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.
"""

I've found repeated posts about this from about a year ago WRT debian
sarge (which I am using).  Is there something I need to do to make it
work ?  all the conf files in /etc/nagios are owned by nagios:www-data
with appropriate read permissions (644).

Cheers
Dave