Re: Wanting to use a gui with Debian.

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 11:36 -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Patrick J. Farhar escribió:
>

> >> I have installed Debian and want to use a gui to install other
> >> packages such as Squid.  My purpose is use the server for caching web
> >> pages.  I am NEW to linux and do not know how to make Debian give me
> >> a gui interface at boot.
> >

> Try "apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm synaptic".
>
> This should install a basic X Window System, with the KDE environment
> (lots of bells and whistles, so hope you have plenty of horse power /
> RAM), and the KDM graphical login manager which will start the gui at
> boot. It'll also install Synaptic, which is a gui front-end to apt.

Remember, this is going to be a server.

# apt-get install x-window-system synaptic icewm gdm

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"'Reckless discharge of a gun', that's what the officers are
claimin'.
Bubba hollered, 'Reckless, hell!!! I hit just where I was
aimin'!"
Mark Chesnutt, "Bubba Shot The Jukebox"