Re: libstdc++.so.5 no version information available

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:59:36PM -0800, tjm3 wrote:
> OK, I'm not giving up, but I am looking for the easy way
> out.  How do I resolve the "libstdc++.so.5 no version
> information available" problem with Debian3.0, 2.4.25
> homespun kernel.  Trying to load Realplayer 10 for Linux.

Apparently woody does not contain libstdc++ version 5, the newest one it
has is libstdc++.so.3

I determined this by searching on http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
aka http://packages.debian.org/

I can see three options for you:

1. cd /usr/lib ; ln -s libstdc++.so.3 libstdc++.so.5

This quite likely won't work.

2. upgrade to sarge or sid

3. Get the debian source package for gcc-3.3 and try to compile it.
It will produce a deb for libstdc++5 among other things.

How to do that:

Put this in your /etc/apt/sources.list (use a mirror close to you)

deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian sarge main

apt-get update

apt-get install devscripts
apt-get source libstdc++5

cd gcc-3.3 (or whatever the directory is called)

debuild -b

Then wait for a long time and hope it works!

It may be that the debian build scripts for woody can't build this new
package in which case you might be in trouble.