Re: Install Debian on Dell PowerEdge 1300

Sam Watkins wrote:

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:59:28PM -0500, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
I'm trying to install Debian on a PowerEdge 1300 with a MegaRAID LD0
RAID5 34556R SCSI controller.  The installation image is the current
Debian Sarge Installer.

The BIOS reports (after the SCSI utility has started) that a logical
drive has been found.  I guess this is a RAID device that creates a
logical storage device from the 3 drives in the machine.

The Debian installation system starts, detects the controller and
loads a module but next reports that no disk drives can be found and
won't continue.

Have you sent a bug report to the debian-installer people?  apparently
they're keen that people should do that even when the install goes right
so that they can gather information.

I can't complain to the Installer people because it turned out to be something I missed: I didn't realize that BIOS was expecting that I would use a built-in, on-board SCIS controller. The previous user of this computer had installed a PCI SCSI controller and attached the harddrives to that and not the on-board one, probably I think because the on-board contector was for the wide-SCSI connection and this previous user had only the narrow type cable available to contact to the hard drives.

Anyway, with two controllers installed, the BIOS was recognizing only the on-board one instead of the second, PCI one that actually was connected to my storage. Therefore the BIOS was reporting that a controller was found but not any storage.

Meantime, Knoppix had detected both controllers and correctly assigned /dev/sda to the PCI one. This occurance confused me given that I thought I had hard drives but still couldn't get the Instlaler to find them.

Alright: this is getting boring. The point is that disabling the on-board controller made everything groovy again.