Upgrading system disk

Hi.

I'm trying to upgrade my system disk on Debian unstable. What I've done
so far is to create partitions on the new disk and copy the old drive
with cp -a to the new partitions, run mkswap on hdc2, then I've mounted
the new partitions under /mnt/newdrive and changed my
/mnt/newdrive/etc/lilo.conf as follows:

lba32
disk=/dev/hdc bios=0x80
boot=/dev/hdc
root=/dev/hda5 # hda here, as this is what the new drive will be
install=/mnt/newdisk/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/mnt/newdisk/boot/map
default=Linux

image=/mnt/newdisk/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

and run /sbin/lilo -C /mnt/newdrive/etc/lilo.conf

What happens, is that I get the lilo prompt, and it displays the

but that's all. Any suggestions? (I don't have a CD-ROM in this machine
for the time being, so it's preferrable if I don't need to boot a rescue
disk.)

Is my lilo.conf wrong, or am I being naive regarding the file copy?
Partition table:

hdc1 => boot
hdc2 => swap
hdc5 => /