NIS - NFS - CUPS - problem might actually be resolved!

To be entered into the archives - in the hope future Google'rs may find this useful.

After an exchange of e-mails with John Harrold (thanx again, BTW), NIS magically started working for me, where it had not before. For completeness - newbies to NIS should refer to
    http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debian-howto/nis.html

I followed those directions verbatim, but it didn't work - and then it did. Hmm . . .

-

NFS has also been a sore spot for me. After some deeper investigation, I found that my server was blocking version 3. Between initscript tweaks and version upgrades - my server is now running version 3, and it is definitely a more stable environment for my workstations than version 2.

-

At this point I was happy - and then I started having PRINTING problems, of all things. Darn it, CUPS has been working just dandy, now WTH went wrong now? The logs showed my server was unable to bind to the broadcast address.

I googled onto
   http://linuxproblem.org/art_13.html

so I thought I'd check out the port(s) NFS was using. It didn't look like mountd was conflicting, but I specified a port in the /etc/default/nfs anyway. Restarted NFS. Still no good.

I did some more checking.

NIS uses same portmapper NFS does. And sure enough, yppasswd was sitting on port 631 - the port CUPS wants! Unfortunately, I can't find a way to specify the port for yppasswd - or, better yet, tell the portmapper what ports are/are not available.

I tried increasing the startup priority of CUPS to be before the portmapper - but on reboot it appeared everything started first anyway. However - this time the portmapper decided to leave 631 alone - so CUPS is working fine.

A note to the masses on the interactivity of different processes.

--
Daniel