Keeping systems in shape (was: Re: Wanting to use a gui with Debian.)

On Jan 19 2005, William Ballard wrote:
> apt-get install x-window-system-core xfonts-base twm icewm
> or                                                   fluxbox
> Is enough, and brings in less X cruft.

Indeed. I'd say that, in my limited understanding, running a font server is
overkill for a single desktop, when you're trying to keep things simple.

I would add that using the bitstream vera fonts would also be a a nice
addition to the lot, for applications that can use it.

And, BTW, I use fluxbox with the minimal style slightly tweaked -- my
computers thank me for that. :-) And one command that I always use on my
system is:

apt-get --purge remove `deborphan --guess-all | grep -v libc6-i686`

This, together with a cautious inspection of what cruft reports, is a very
nice way to keep your system clean (and easier to backup).

Hope this helps some people to find things that they don't want on their
system, Rogério.

Learn to quote e-mails decently at: