Re: Converting stock 2.6.8 config.gz to a custom .config

Andreas Janssen wrote:
Hello

Andrew Malcolmson (<andzy@imap-mail.com>) wrote:

I'm building a custom 2.6.8 kernel and to avoid making a custom config
from scratch I copied the config file in /boot to to
/usr/src/linux/.config.  Since I'm not building an initrd I know I
need to compile in support for my file system so I ran make menuconfig
and changed the 'M's to '*'s for  everything under ISA Support in Bus
Options and under the Ext3 section in File Systems.  However, boot
this kernel fails with a kernel panic reporting failure to mount the
root device.

What options am I missing?

You need support for the disk the root partition is on. Probably this is
IDE hard disk support and the driver for your IDE chipset.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

Thanks - yes, it was the IDE generic chipset driver I'd missed. My system boots now.