Re: mkisofs and reiserfs vs ext3?

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:47:34AM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I am not on the list, always keep me CCd
>
> I noticed something strange today with mkisofs.  I was in the process of
> moving a tree from ext3 to reiserfs.
>
> When I build the directory that I'm going to burn, I always am able to use
> every possible sector on the media.  In this case, it's a DVD-R (2297888
> sectors)
>
> To figure it out, I use: mkisofs -r -no-pad -print-size -quiet <dir> and
> subtract the result from the total sectors.
>
> On ext3 I see: 2297888
> On reiserfs I see: 2297887
>
> When creating the image from a reiserfs filesystem, all files appear to be
> there and intact.  The copy on reiserfs was made via cp -ax <source> <dest>
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug or just something weird.

Do you mean if you run mkisofs from the ext3 filesystem, it uses more
sectors than if you run mkisofs from the reiserfs filesystem with the
same data?

Perhaps it's got something to do with "holes" in files.  Maybe try
running "cmp" on the two isos to find out where they differ, and "tail -c
+1234 | xxd" or something to take a look at that part of the file (you
have to add one to the offset used with tail).

did you run diff -r to check if the two trees are in fact identical?
perhaps you were editing a file within the tree when you made the first
image, and there was a .swp file present or something.