Re: New Kernel lose sound

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 16:10, Rob Brenart (TT) wrote:
> It seems everytime I compile a new kernel I lose sound.
>
> I just installed Debian Sarge 3.1 on my IBM T41
>
> Everything went smoothly, but as to be expected, several kernel settings
> weren't to my liking... so I compiled a new one.
>
> I used the .config file located here
> http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~bamoore/projects/debian_on_t41/.confi
>
> And everything compiled smoothly.
>
> The only settings I changed were to follow these to attempt to get the
> framebuffer working (that didn't work either, but I can't say I care so
> much right now)
> Under Graphics Support --> Support For Frame Buffer devices, place a
> checkmark in the VGA 16 Color Graphics Suport box.  Place a checkmark in
> the Vesa VGA Graphics support, also check any box that matches your video
> card if there is one.
>

> I basically went step through step these instructions
> http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm
>
> Then I reboot and no sound. I got an error I stupidly didn't write down
> as I expected to see it again, basically telling me /dev/dsp didn't
> exist.

/dev/dsp is the OSS sound device node.  If you're using ALSA, you won't have
it, unless you load the OSS emulation modules (or compile it in to your
kernel).

> So, I followed the instructions at the bottom of that page... did an
> apt-get install alsa-utils, ran alsaconf which ended with a plain blue
> screen and a box that says <ok> but nothing to click.
>
> If I run it in a Konsole window instead of actually running from a
> console I can see that this was output
> Modinfo: could no find module snd
> Modinfo: could not find module snd
> Modinfo: could not find module snd
> Terminating processes: 2837...done.
> Unloading sound driver modules...done.
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-opl3sa2
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4236
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4232
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4231
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-es18xx
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-es1688
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-sb16
> Modinfo: could not find module snd-sb8
>
> (All small m's but my mail is insiting they be capitalized for now)

This shouldn't be surprising.  You didn't compile any of these modules.  You
put them directly into the kernel.  So the modules won't be found.

> So I'm completely stumped... if I boot back to my old kernel, also no
> sound. Alsaconf didn't make anything work, but it did make the error
> disappear that was saying /dev/dsp doesn't exist.
>
> And the user I'm logging in as is in the audio group.
>
> Any advice?

Are you using udev?  If so, you may have to write a rule to create your
sound device nodes, because your sound drivers are compiled into your
kernel.

You did check your mixer settings to make sure your output channels were not
muted, right?

Post how you test sound, as you don't say whether your using xmms, event
notification, or something else.  Also, you don't mention whether you're
trying to use ALSA or OSS.  That's important, because if xmms (or whatever)
is trying to use OSS, you only compiled the ALSA modules, so of course it
will fail.

Justin Guerin