Re: How to tell WHY apt wants to install so many packages (SOLVED! Sort of)

Alban Browaeys wrote:

Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

Alban Browaeys wrote:

The following held packages will be changed:
 kdebase-data kdewallpapers

there where two packages on hold kdebase-data and kdewallpapers. This was an
example. I left kdebase-data on you but you seems to need full support.
I have down the dependency walk for kdebase-data, see  end of this message.
So the dependency check for kdebase-data:

I don t have the version you had , let s guess you had kdewallpapers < 4:3.0.0, and take one random dependency path : this would have hold kdebase which would have hold kdelibs4 , itself holding libcupsys2-gnutls holding gnutls and cups related package (you where lucky
kdelibs4 relate to all kde apps , gnutls to all ssl ones : cups , samba
, browsers , nautilus ... .
Seems you only hold some of them through dependencies.
If it was really kdebase 4:3.0.0 you are a master ! else that may explain why
 so few packages are finally able to upgrade.

If you still want to go keep those kdelibs , you can find a good use for dpkg
--get-selections by using regex on the file to hold all kde applications. That
would be a safer way to achieve this fork of sid.

Alban

Well, I could probably make sense out of all this if I really took the time, but, my primary questions are:

Since I do not run KDE I should not need to have wallpapers for it, so why can't I delete JUST the kdewallpapers package without a slew of other stuff being upgraded and installed? Why is kdebase-data being installed when I remove kdewallpapers?

I decided to try something (strange though it seemed). I added kdebase-data to the packages to be removed. Since it is not currently installed I should get a warning that it is not being removed, and everything else should be the same. Right? Wrong! I do get the warning that kdebase-data is not installed so it is not being removed, but... it is also NOT installed and six other packages that were to be installed are not. In other words, by telling apt to remove a package which was not installed in the first place, it decides that it does not need to INSTALL said package, or six others that it thought I needed before. So now I am down to only needing to install 26+ MB instead of 30+ MB. Better, but not yet good enough.

If I can tell apt to remove one package which is not installed, but it wanted to, maybe I can do the same with other packages that it says it will install. I then tried:

	apt-get remove kdewallpapedrs kdebase-data libarts1

and that did the trick! Apt no longer feels that it needs to install, or upgrade ANYTHING! All it wants to do is remove kdewallpapers (freeing up over 19 MB) which is what I wanted in the first place. Obviously, NONE of those packages needed to be installed, or upgraded, in order to remove kdewallpapers. So why did apt try to tell me that it DID need to do all of that?

Go figure!

The results from the three different 'apt-get remove' commands are as follows:

:~$ sudo apt-get remove kdewallpapers
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
bc cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gv hicolor-icon-theme kdebase-data ksysguardd libarts1 libaspell15 libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdb4.2 libidn11 libjasper-1.701-1 libnetpbm10 libopenexr2 libperl5.8 libraw1394-5 libsensors3 menu-xdg netpbm perl
  perl-base perl-doc perl-modules perl-suid poster psutils xaw3dg
Suggested packages:
cupsys-driver-gimpprint xpdf-korean xpdf-japanese xpdf-chinese-traditional xpdf-chinese-simplified cups-pdf kdeprint gtklp cupsys-pt akode aspell-bin libjasper-runtime lm-sensors lm-sensors-mod-2.9 kernel-image-2.6 libterm-readline-perl-perl groff
Recommended packages:
  smbclient aspell-en aspell-dictionary
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdebase kdewallpapers
bc gv hicolor-icon-theme kdebase-data ksysguardd libarts1 libaspell15 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdb4.2 libidn11 libjasper-1.701-1 libnetpbm10 libopenexr2 libraw1394-5 libsensors3 menu-xdg netpbm perl-suid poster psutils xaw3dg
The following held packages will be changed:
  kdebase-data kdewallpapers
cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libperl5.8 perl perl-base perl-doc perl-modules
10 upgraded, 21 newly installed, 2 to remove and 104 not upgraded.
Need to get 30.5MB/30.9MB of archives.
After unpacking 8880kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

:~$ sudo apt-get remove kdewallpapers kdebase-data
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package kdebase-data is not installed, so not removed
bc cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client hicolor-icon-theme libarts1 libaspell15 libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdb4.2 libidn11 libjasper-1.701-1 libnetpbm10 libopenexr2 libperl5.8 libraw1394-5 menu-xdg netpbm perl perl-base perl-doc perl-modules perl-suid
Suggested packages:
cupsys-driver-gimpprint xpdf-korean xpdf-japanese xpdf-chinese-traditional xpdf-chinese-simplified cups-pdf kdeprint gtklp cupsys-pt akode
  aspell-bin libjasper-runtime libterm-readline-perl-perl groff
Recommended packages:
  smbclient aspell-en aspell-dictionary
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdebase kdewallpapers
bc hicolor-icon-theme libarts1 libaspell15 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libdb4.2 libidn11 libjasper-1.701-1 libnetpbm10 libopenexr2 libraw1394-5
  menu-xdg netpbm perl-suid
The following held packages will be changed:
  kdewallpapers
cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client libcupsimage2 libcupsys2 libperl5.8 perl perl-base perl-doc perl-modules
10 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 2 to remove and 104 not upgraded.
Need to get 26.3MB/26.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 836kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

:~$ sudo apt-get remove kdewallpapers kdebase-data libarts1
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package kdebase-data is not installed, so not removed
Package libarts1 is not installed, so not removed
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdebase kdewallpapers
The following held packages will be changed:
  kdewallpapers
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 114 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 19.2MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

--
Marc Shapiro