Re: Converting stock 2.6.8 config.gz to a custom .config

Laurent CARON wrote:

Andrew Malcolmson wrote:

I'm building a custom 2.6.8 kernel and to avoid making a custom config from scratch I copied the config file in /boot to to /usr/src/linux/.config. Since I'm not building an initrd I know I need to compile in support for my file system so I ran make menuconfig and changed the 'M's to '*'s for everything under ISA Support in Bus Options and under the Ext3 section in File Systems. However, boot this kernel fails with a kernel panic reporting failure to mount the root device.

What options am I missing?

Also, I'm compiling support for all kinds of stuff I don't need and don't really need and don't want to remove by hand. Does anyone have a config suitable for an ordinary desktop PC that would be less work to tweak?

without knowing the components inside your computer it won't be easy.....

I wasn't thinking of a config for my computer specifically but a generic desktop PC config to use as a template. The stock Debian kernel config compiles modules for just about every kind of hardware for any kind of computer. I'd prefer to start with one that's closer match to the regular kind of computer that most of us use so I'm figuring someone out there has made one up ready for sharing.