Re: hde vs hda drive designation

hi ya taren

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Taren wrote:

> >the kernel has an option "boot from pci" ( /dev/hde ) card first
> >

> The kernel I boot successfully from (2.2.20, which is the original

2.2 ??? pretty old ... and i don't know what distro you're using
on your "month old system" ..

2.4.28 is current .. or if you're brave with 2.6.10 + lots of minor
fiddling work

> kernel set up during installation) has no problem recognizing /dev/hde
> as the device on which my  hard drive is located.

good

> The problem is that when I use a customized kernel, it is seeing the
> hard drive as /dev/hda, and panics.

and how was the "customized kernel built" ??
	- what options
	- and good that its looking for /dev/hda

> I have an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard (the specs can be found here:

	- all mb has onboard ide ...

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=product&product=407672&dlc=en&docname=c00069442

link was bad ... but found the modified for hp mb on the hp site

> ), which has onboard UDMA IDE connectors, which are being used for my
> hard drive (there is only one).

nothing strange with the onboard mb

> I need to find a way to have my original kernel (I recognize that I may
> have to reinstall from scratch) see the hard drive as being /dev/hda,
> instead of /dev/hde.

post your kernel config option you used to build your custom kernel

c ya
alvin