Re: How to tell WHY apt wants to install so many packages

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:45:47 -0500, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't think that is the case, even though there is a hold on
> kdewallpapers.  If I just removed the hold it would allow kdewallpapers
> to be upgraded, and other packages that depend on a more recent version
> would come along for the ride.  But I am REMOVING kdewallpapers!
> Anything that depends on it at all would be removed, not upgraded.
> Besides, the only thing that depends on it is the metapackage kdebase.
> If you look at the packages that are to be upgraded and installed you
> will see that many (if not most) have nothing to do with kde (as far as
> I can see).

What does, for example, "dpkg-query -l cupsys" tell you?  There must
be *some* reason apt wants to install it.  "apt-get check" might also
be helpful.

Also, have you tried leaving out the "--purge"?

> I like the way that apt-get works.

Same here.  It's fairly simple, but also very flexible.  I tend to get
annoyed by fancier interfaces -- they just slow me down.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh