Re: Kernel Panic for File System, cannot umount / fsck

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:38:58PM +0000, Tim Harding wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just received the kernel panic below while performing an rf on
> /home/backup.
>
> I can read /home.  I can't write to /home.  I can't umount /home or
> kill the processing blocking that umount.  I can't run fsck.  How can
> I recover from this situation?

Try `fuser -v -k /home' to list and kill all processes that access
/home.

> I cannot kill or kill -9 or kill -STOP that rm -rf /home/backup.  The
> kill fails silently, the process remains in the process list.
>
> I cannot write to home:
> clark:/home# touch /home/tim/foo
> touch: creating `/home/tim/foo': Read-only file system

Maybe remounting it read-write works:

mount /home -o remount,rw

> I cannot umount /home:
> clark:/home# umount /home
> umount: /home: device is busy

Try `umount -l /home'. From the man page of umount:

-l  Lazy unmount. Detach the filesystem from the filesystem hierarchy
now, and cleanup all refer-ences to the filesystem as soon as it is
not busy anymore.  (Requires kernel 2.4.11 or later.)

This has worked for me in other situations, especially when the
partition was only in use by a kernel process. Worth a try.

HTH,

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill