Re: eliminating/reinstalling kde

Peter Nuttall wrote:
On Tuesday 11 Jan 2005 16:26, Matt Price wrote:

Hi folks,

I have some kind of problem with my kde installation and would like to
entirely remove all kde-related packages and my conf files, and then
reinstall them (this is on unstable/i386).  Are there a couple of
libraries I can remove that will drag all of kde out along with it?  And
are all the conf files stored in ~/.kde?

thanks as always for the help,

Matt

removing your ~/.kde/ will delete your config, so you shouldn't need to reinstall, if you do, taking out kdelibs or qt will remove kde. (note: doing this will not remove your ~/.kde)

Pete

THanks for that suggestion Pete.

Unfortunately this hasn't solved my problem. There is apparently some issue with the identification of mime types or something, I get an error on starting kde, "klauncher: unknown protocol 'file'"; and when I try to run most kde apps (I really want amarok) from outside kde, I get similar messages. This apparently shows up periodically, and folks have suggested updating my kde libraries, but I've done my best to update everything, e.g. kdelibs*, everything appears to be @ 3.3 now (I'm running unstable).

k3b gives  me this error:

k3b: Version: 1.0
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
k3b: (K3b::cutToWidth) not able to cut text to 1!
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
k3b: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'.
k3b:
KCrash: Application 'k3b' crashing...

I've just taken the ill-advised step of trying to run kde as root, and I find that I don't have the problem as root! hmm. Anyone have any idea what I should try next?

thanks,

matt