Re: How to tell WHY apt wants to install so many packages

On Tuesday, 18.01.2005 at 17:39 +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:31 -0500, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > Is there any package, or command, that will go through the "depends'
> > for a packages and tell me exactly why apt-get wants to install over
> > 30MB of packages when all I am trying to do is remove ONE package.
>
> I have not gone through your list and tried to figure it out. This is
> just the first thought that crossed my mind:
>
> apt will by default try to update packages where a newer version is
> available. So even if all you type ist "apt-get install something", it
> will not only get the the package something, but also fetch newer
> versions of already-installed packages as if you typed "apt-get
> upgrade".
>
> I don't know if this can be turned off somewhere. My personal
> workaround is not to update the package lists until I want to upgrade.
> So in the meantime apt-get won't even know that there is a newer
> version and hence won't upgrade.

But 'apt-get upgrade' isn't supposed to add or remove any packages,
simply replace newer versions of older versions of already-installed
packages.

'apt-get dist-upgrade' will play with dependencies.

I also don't understand why an 'apt-get install' or 'apt-get remove'
seems to pick up the behaviour of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' in this
context.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org