Re: Home networking!

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:39:50PM +1300, Andrew Walbran wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 3:45 pm, you wrote:
> > Andrew Walbran wrote:
> > >On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 6:45 pm, Aditya Pratap V. wrote:

(...)

> > Hi,
> > Let us call the first system running Debian as A and the other dual -
> > booting Win'98 and SuSE as B. A is Pentium IV and B is AMD Athlon. A is
> > connected to a cable modem. I want B to be able to connect to the
> > internet through A and also share files between the two computers (B
> > could be running either Win'98 of SuSE).
> I'm not sure how to set up routing to connect to the Internet through A, try
> google or perhaps others on the list can help. You may also want to run a
> caching proxy server, Squid is a commonly used proxy server included in
> debian. Google should give plenty of info, post again if you have any
> problems.

You can set up netfilter / iptables on machine A so that it forwards packets
from B to the internet and back. It can be used as a firewall, too. See
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation (especially NAT = network address
translation). There are also frontends, e. g. firestarter or mason.

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

Debian Hint #4: You can see the available and installed versions for one
or more available packages with the command 'apt-cache policy <packages>'.