Re: Home networking!

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 3:45 pm, you wrote:
> Andrew Walbran wrote:
> >On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 6:45 pm, Aditya Pratap V. wrote:
> >

> >Hi
> >You need to be more specific about exactly what you want to do. Do you
> > want to be able to print from one to a printer attached to the other?
> > access files stored on one from the other? login through SSH? setup the
> > windows box to login to the linux box (with samba)? run a web server on
> > one and view pages from it on the other? set up a proxy server? let one
> > connect to the Internet through a modem on the other? set up a mail
> > server? etc.
> >

> >Andrew Walbran
>
> Hi,
> Let us call the first system running Debian as A and the other dual -
> booting Win'98 and SuSE as B. A is Pentium IV and B is AMD Athlon. A is
> connected to a cable modem. I want B to be able to connect to the
> internet through A and also share files between the two computers (B
> could be running either Win'98 of SuSE).
I'm not sure how to set up routing to connect to the Internet through A, try
google or perhaps others on the list can help. You may also want to run a
caching proxy server, Squid is a commonly used proxy server included in
debian. Google should give plenty of info, post again if you have any
problems.

To access files stored on A from B running windows (and vice-versa), you need
to install Samba on A. 'apt-get install samba' should install it,
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ is probably the
best place to start learning how to set it up. There are also several
graphical configuration tools available.

To access files stored on one Linux machine from another, you could use either
Samba or NFS. I'd recommend NFS but others may disagree. To allow others to
access files on one machine through NFS add entries to /etc/exports (see 'man
exports' for information about how this file is written). You may also need
to edit /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny. You need to run 'exportfs -rf'
to effect your changes. Also make sure that nfsd is running. You can then
mount the NFS share on the other machine, with something like:
# mount 192.168.1.2:/shared /mnt/shared
or add it to fstab.

Andrew Walbran