Re: Problem compiling (gcc? glibc?)

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 02:40:36PM +1300, Andrew Walbran wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 2:23 am, David wrote:

> > > However, I have found that if I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to _either_ /lib
> > > or /lib/tls, gcc works fine and gives no errors. The resulting executable
> > > links against /lib/tls/libc.so.6. Why would this be?
> >
> > I really don't know.  Actually, I'd halfway overlooked the fact that
> > your errors are occurring _during_ your compilation.  But that does not
> > explain why _all_ your apps are pointing to /lib/tls.  I have only a
> > couple of other ideas.
> >
> > 1. Do you have an environment LIBRARY_PATH set?  Probably not.  I'd
> >    suppose that gcc is looking in /lib/tls because it's a SYSTEM thing.
> No, LIBRARY_PATH is not set.
>

> > 2. Could it be a locales problem ?
> No idea. Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

I really don't know.  I'm just taking a wild stab, here.  If it were
simply gcc messing up, I'd think that it was something in the gcc
configuration, but the fact that ldd reports the tls directory implies
that it _ought_ to be in your ldconfig setup or the only other
possibility I could come up with would be locales.

HMM..  After doing a little perusing through gcc-info, I've discovered
something.  Apparently tls stands for thread-local storage.  I'm going
to assume that your system is trying to operate under threading mode.
I'm very vague on threading, but I'd look in that direction.

Now, I'm just guessing, but I suspect that your system is trying to do
threads and your kernel may not have threading at least completely
compiled into it, if at all.  Or your tls library might not be complete
or, another guess.. gcc is supposed to access the tls library AND the
"normal" one and isn't.

I'm really out of my league here, but I'd look in that direction.