Re: convert ext2 to ext3 - no luck yet

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:53:21PM +0100, Peter Teunissen wrote:
> 1> Bezegny Martin pointed out I should try 'tune2fs -O ^has_journal
> /dev/hda3' wich i did try but needs to be done on an unmounted or read
> only device, wich i guess is only possible on a / device when booted
> from CD, right? (this is going to sound so NooB :-) How do I accomplish
> that? I heard something about booting from CD and opening a shell but
> don't know how to do that. What's the magic button?

No need for a CD. Try:
# telinit 1
This should stop a lot of services, and give you a prompt to enter your
root password. After entering the root password, type:
# mount / -o ro,remount
Now your root filesystem should be mounted read-only, so tune2fs should
work. After this, just reboot.

> 2> removing .journal file. I cannot find this file in / where did it
> go? And do I need to remove it to make the device function like ext2?

That is equivalent to using tune2fs, but (as you noticed) the .journal
file is not always accessible (depending on how the ext3 filesystem was
created)

Frank