Re: ATI RADEON questions

On Thursday January 13 2005 16:37, J.F.Gratton wrote:
> - CPU runs at a higher load when idle: according to the cpu load of
> gkrellm, the cpu is 15-20% busy when idle with the ATI card, compared to
> 4-5% with any other card I've tested. The same services run on both case
> so it's not a question of having added functionalities to the system
> between the card swap. Top gives similar readings.

It seems that moving the mouse gets the CPU load caused by X up to 10%. There
might be some issues caused by the fact that the ATI driver sucks at
everything 2D.

> - I get these warnings in /var/log/XFree86.0.log :
>
> (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
> (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
> (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
> (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
> (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *
> (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
>
> --> I thought 3D acceleration was enabled by default ? What am I
> forgetting ?

What you need is:
 - AGP support in the kernel (the new ATI drivers seem to coexist happily with
the kernel's AGP drivers)
 - DRM support in the kernel.

If you're using a recent 2.6.x series kernel, you also need a patch for the
driver since some turd decided to change the kernel API somewhere between
2.6.7 and 2.6.10. When I saw this, I actually started to understand companies
who refuse to produce Linux drivers.

You can get the patch at:
 http://rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1333233041&postcount=25

> --> Why is [DGA] omitted ? I actually need the DGA extension to get a
> full-screen vmware guest OS. Every time I fire up VMWare, it complains
> of that missing extension. If I enable it, it seems that fglrx won't
> load at boot-up (I tried previously and got the errors in the log to
> prove it :) ).

Using DGA usually hard-locks my system (Radeon 9500 on a VIA KT400 chipset).

There's also an issue with some un- or at least very badly documented driver
options. There is a tool to create a XF86Config-4 file, but it will overwrite
your existing one. Here's the relevant section from my config file (single
monitor):

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "fglrx"
        Option          "NoDDC"
        Option          "no_accel" "no"
        Option          "no_dri" "no"
        Option          "DesktopSetup" "0x00000000"
        Option          "Display2" "0"
        Option          "HSync2" "unspecified"
        Option          "VRefresh2" "unspecified"
        Option          "GammaCorrectionI" "0x00000000"
        Option          "GammaCorrectionII" "0x00000000"
        Option          "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
        Option          "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option          "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4e45
        Screen 0
EndSection

--
Got Backup?