Re: What can make DNS lookups slow?

On Thursday 13 January 2005 09:35, Chris Evans wrote:
> Thursday, January 13, 2005, 2:21:59 AM, John wrote:
> >>From the resolv.conf man page:
>
> JH>  Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword.
> JH>               ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> JH> Thus most of your entries do nothing.  You also almost certainly don't
> need JH> the 'search' line.
> OK. Thanks for pointing that out.  I've pruned to just two servers
> (213.120.62.97 and 98) -- no change in the problem.  Any other
> thoughts?
Can your DNS server do the reverse lookup properly (ie find both the name from
the ip address and the ip address from the name).

I think that is sometimes the reason for slow response.  (I once had an old
linux book (it came with red hat 5.0 - to give you an idea of how old it is)
which explained why this was the case.  I can't remember the reason now).
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk